Skip to main content

Taking advantage of the Bhutanese signature (30/9/2021)

 Recently, a case of fake donation drive surfaced in the national television and newspaper. According to the investigation, the post which initially appeared on facebook regarding a donation drive for kidney transplantation was found to be fake. The author of the post shared a picture of a young girl, stated that the girl needs to undergo kidney plantation in India and requested the general public in Bhutan to assist them financially through donations for the treatment of the patient. The post was shared by many people without second thought and by the time the police found the story to be phony, the account had already managed to collect few hundred thousand. This is not the first time such incident has taken place in Bhutan and it would not be the last of incident. Such incident will continue to prevail in Bhutan unless publics are made aware about how to verify such information posted on social media. What does this incident indicate?

The spirit of volunteerism has existed in the Bhutanese people since time immemorial. Be it in protecting territorial integrity by Pazaaps (Bhutans first standing militia) during the reign of Zhabdrung to the umpteen exhibition of solidarity during bad times such as covid-19, Bhutanese people have always come forward to help in cash and kind. Induced with Buddhist values, Bhutanese people stand united as a family in the face of adversity and have rescued numerous needy people from their plight. Undoubtedly, love and compassion has become a Bhutanese signature. Every time I see the Bhutanese signature or show one myself, my face beams with satisfaction that humanity is still alive. To highlight a recent example, just before the fake donation drive, a case of genuine donation drive was posted on facebook. The post had a picture of a boy in wheelchair who was diagnosed with spinal injury and needed Nu 8 million to undergo treatment in India. The post was shared on social media by many who saw it including myself. Astonishingly, the required amount for the treatment was collected within few days and the donation drive was stopped. This is just one incident. However, there are several similar incidents in the past whereby Bhutanese people have exhibited the quintessential value of being a true Bhutanese- the spirit of volunteerism runs deep in the blood of the Bhutanese.

For those initiating fake donation drive

Those individuals who cook up phony stories and post it on social media for momentary gain must think twice before doing such things. Their actions have negative consequences for the country as well as at the individual level. Such actions will not only taint the Bhutanese signature but also tarnish the Buddhist values. People must never take advantage of someone’s compassion and love. When incidents of fake donation drive increase on social media, the issue of trust arises. It might create suspicion and skepticism in the minds of those who want to help. As a result, those individuals who are desperate for help might be left out.

So how to help?

Does that mean that those people who want to help must stop helping. It is the responsibility of the people who wants to help to cross check whether the story is genuine or not. In order to solve the matter, the department of law and order under the ministry of home and cultural affairs have made it mandatory for those who want to initiate a donation drive to seek approval from the ministry. Therefore, those who want to help must verify whether an approval letter from Department of law and order have been attached with the story or not. If there is no approval letter, one must abstain from donating money into the given account number. Everyone wants to help but while helping others, one must make sure that the resources goes into good hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Independence Day (23rd December, 2010)

  23 rd December was the day She wished me an independence day Don’t know why But somehow it brings tears to my eye Don’t know what was wrong with me Because I don’t understand you see   I was an innocent bird that she caged For three years until the bond aged She loved me but won’t let me sing For I was her hearts king And she thinks other birds are trying to make a link   I was a prisoner she captured And she herself was the captor She loves me but wont let me out For I am the hero she sought Without me locked, she is never pleased For others are trying to seize   But I care no more Although it gives my heart sore Now I am on my own For she says her passion to love has gone   Anyway, she may be right To select another guide Throw me out and say Happy Independence Day But I am not wrong For my passion to love was strong.

Reviewing Chaychay's tree house

If you haven’t watched the TV programme “Chaychay’s tree house” I would recommend everyone to watch it. But before that, a little piece of advice from me – Do not judge the show by its title, just like I did. Hahahah… Initially, when I heard about this program, the first thing which struck me was that it must be a show for kids. Guess what, I was partially right because I found the particular show relevant for adults too. The show teaches us about the importance of asking questions. The show stars two young girls, Chachay and Chungku who are inquisitive and ask a lot of questions. The show also stars uncle KD who always comes to the rescue of the two girls and answers their questions. It is evident from the show that the first step to learning is asking question. An interesting thing about Chaychay’s tree house is the way learning turns into a fun activity with the combination of games and songs which are in sync with a particular concept. I guess any concept of a particular subject ...

Dzongkha Typing Tutor for Bhutanese September 27, 2021

  A fast typing speed for sure saves a lot of time when it comes to working on an assignment which requires typing. But how many of us have worked on improving our typing speed? Have you ever asked yourself the following questions? “How fast can I type in English?” “Do I know how to type in Dzongkha?” “How fast can I type in Dzongkha?” I got my laptop in the year 2015 and the first thing which I wanted to do in my laptop was to learn to type fast. I had seen my brother type fast in his laptop without looking at the keyboard. Instead he looked at me, spoke to me and typed simultaneously in a show off. But I found the ability to do that so cool. I wanted myself to be able to do that. So when I asked Google about the techniques to increase my typing speed, several typing tutors appeared on my laptop screen. I needed only one. I downloaded one of the typing tutors and started my typing lessons. Initially, I found it uncomfortable to keep my left index finger at “F” and right in...