A fast typing speed for sure saves a lot of time when it comes to working on an assignment which requires typing. But how many of us have worked on improving our typing speed? Have you ever asked yourself the following questions?
“How fast can I type in
English?”
“Do I know how to type in
Dzongkha?”
“How fast can I type in
Dzongkha?”
I got my laptop in the
year 2015 and the first thing which I wanted to do in my laptop was to learn to
type fast. I had seen my brother type fast in his laptop without looking at the
keyboard. Instead he looked at me, spoke to me and typed simultaneously in a
show off. But I found the ability to do that so cool. I wanted myself to be
able to do that. So when I asked Google about the techniques to increase my
typing speed, several typing tutors appeared on my laptop screen. I needed only
one. I downloaded one of the typing tutors and started my typing lessons. Initially,
I found it uncomfortable to keep my left index finger at “F” and right index
finger at “J” as instructed by the typing tutor. I often got the urge to type
all the letters on the keyboard using my index and middle finger. However, I controlled
my urge and followed the correct way of typing. I played games, practised and
appeared test in the typing tutor for one hour every day for a month. As a
result I was able to type like my brother without looking at the keyboard.
I did not use the English
typing tutor anymore in my laptop. But that did not put an end to my typing
journey. When I first saw few of my friends typing Dzongkha words in their
laptop with difficulty, it intrigued me. I had the burning desire to learn to
type in our language-Dzongkha. I somehow got a Dzongkha Unicode from my friend
and installed it. I still remember the time when I pasted Dzongkha letters on
my keyboard so that I did not have to search the letters every time I wanted to
type the particular letter. How I wished at the time for a Dzongkha typing
tutor so that I could type Dzongkha words just like I typed English words in
the same pace. I somehow practiced typing Dzongkha words without any typing
lessons and managed to memorize the location of the words on my keyboard. The only
problem I face right now is typing the “Gogens” because every time I have to
type any kind of Gogen I have to look at the typing guide.
But it looks like my problems
are going to be solved soon because the Dzongkha Development Commission has
come up with a Dzongkha Typing Tutor. DDC has introduced this in the year 2019
but I came across it in the recent days. I have already installed the
application in my laptop and even appeared few tests. So for those of us who
are interested in learning to type in Dzongkha, the application has got an
excellent features. Don’t worry if you are just starting because just like the
English Typing Tutors, Dzongkha Typing Tutor has got options ranging from basic
to advanced level. Moreover, apart from learning Dzongkha typing, the
application offers varieties of topic to learn such as colors, vegetables, human
body parts, fruits, animals, stories, proverbs, Lozeys, Tsangmos and songs. There
are also games to make the learning enjoyable. DDC has done an excellent job by
coming up with such an applications. Congratulations to DDC.
Interface of Dzongkha Typing Tutor
Characters
Per Minute (CPM) and Words Per Minute (WPM) are the terms used whenever typing
speed is concerned. Characters comprises of letters, numbers, punctuations and
spaces. A “Word” is made out of five characters. So all the characters typed
irrespective of errors present divided by 5 in a minute will give us the raw or
gross words per minute. But we cannot take errors while calculating the typing
speed, can we? So a Net Words Per Minute method is used to calculate the real typing
speed. Net WPM is calculated by subtracting uncorrected errors from the raw WPM
in a minute.
Typing Pal categorized typing speed into 6 general categories:
|
Typer
type |
CMP |
WPM |
|
Average |
200
CPM or more |
Around
40 WPM |
|
Above
average |
225
CPM or more |
45
WPM or more |
|
Appropriate
speed |
275
CPM or more |
55
WPM or more |
|
Productive
speed |
325
CPM or more |
65
WPM or more |
|
High
speed |
350
CPM or more |
70
WPM or more |
|
Competitive
speed |
600
CPM or more |
120
WPM or more |
So where do you fall in the above category when you type in English?
Where do you fall in the above category when you type
in Dzongkha?



Comments
Post a Comment