As someone wisely said, “The purpose of life is
life of purpose” there must be a purpose behind everything one opts to do in
life. The decision to participate in the 42nd specialized Desuup
training is not an exception. It has been my lifetime dream to be a part of
something so noble like the Desuup organization which is being spearheaded by
His Majesty himself. There is not an iota of doubt about the faith His Majesty
has on the orange colored individuals and the work they are doing for the
betterment of society. I am a man who believes in the growth and development of
the self before we help others because we cannot help the society if we cannot
help ourselves. Moreover, being a son of a soldier, I have always desired to
experience a part of my father’s life. Thus, with these anticipations I applied
for the program.
The Desuup training has been one of the most
enriching experiences of my life. To jot down some of the learning experiences
amongst others, this particular program has given me the opportunity to experience
snippets of military personnel’s life. I used to respect people in uniform even
before I participated in this particular training. My respect for people in uniform has only increased because I got the opportunity to live a part of
their life. Forest fire, house fire, flood, landslide, reconstruction of houses
for the victims, search and rescue operation and the list goes on. You will
find soldiers in all the above scenes. A duty of a Soldier goes beyond
protecting our country’s territory.
The most difficult challenge during the course of training was sleep disorientation. Initially, we were unable to manage the limited time given to us. Four hours of sleep seemed insufficient for a body which was used to sleeping 8 hours before we entered the training centre. However, we were able to cope with this issue later and it came with the realization that sleep disorientation practice is an important aspect of Desuup training. The premise behind sleep disorientation practice is that disasters can happen any time and being a volunteer, one must be ready all the time be it during the day or night.
The lesson which we were taught involved both
theoretical as well as practical knowledge. Starting from the knowledge on
disaster management, leadership of the self, crowd control, weapon class,
rappelling, river crossing, survival techniques in wild, ambush, patrolling,
camouflage, setting up tent, first AID skills, irrigation, basic plumbing
skills, state of Bhutan, documentaries on Bhutan, plethora of topics were
covered during the training. Practical lessons such as handling of weapon gave
us a lifetime chance to learn to hold, aim and shoot. Moreover, practical class
on rappelling helped me to face my fear of height and river crossing lesson
helped me to face my fear of river.
We were punished when one person in the team
came late for the fall-in or one person in the team committed a mistake. We
were ordered to stay in bend position, do push-ups, do sit ups, do star jump,
crawl, roll, make commando snake, experience commando whisky and helicopter
ride among many things. From those activities we learnt the spirit of teamwork
and the insight of not leaving the weakest behind. We realized that those
activities were not punishment but a way of making our body and spirit strong.
I think, for me the most important of all
lesson was the drill. Until joining the training centre I used to fear even the
simple drill in schools. However, my attitude towards drill changed once I
learned about the history of drill and its importance. In army, drill is
considered indispensable as it helps to focus and build discipline. By
practicing drill, I have learnt to manage time and discipline myself. Now, I
have developed a keen interest in drill and I practice it whenever I get time.
Having completed the program successfully with
a high spirit, I can say that I have more friends and family now. I remember
clearly what His Majesty has said about the leadership of the self. His Majesty
said, “We do not need a leader to lead the masses but the leadership of the
self.” Last but not the least I would like to sum up the whole program in one line - I am a better man now.
Desuup Tashi Dorji
Singye Company
42nd Batch
Date- 2/11/2020







Comments
Post a Comment