I learnt about the existence of “Ragging” as an issue when I bumped into a Bollywood movie titled, “Table No 21.” In simple words, ragging takes place when someone senior in an institution try to abuse, humiliate, or harass a new comer. Ragging is considered a sensitive issue because it is notoriously infamous for leading to serious consequences. Elsewhere, the victims of ragging have died/are dying and the culprits had been/continue to be slapped with fines or even put behind bars depending on the seriousness of the case. I have heard about there being ragging culture in some institutes in Bhutan too and even experienced one myself when I was in College. I was not ordered to unclothe myself or beaten by seniors like the way ragging case has been reported elsewhere. Fingers crossed, I do not think people have died due to ragging in Bhutan. Nonetheless, we cannot have the issue take root in a country like ours.
To
describe ragging through my personal lens, it took place in four steps. The first
step was a dramatic entrance, the second step was the introduction, the third
step was the lecture and the fourth step was kept for conciliation. These steps
will be highlighted in the following story.
As
per the mentioned date, I reported to Sherubtse College on the last week of
July. Room allocation for students had already been done in advance and I was
given a room in Degree Hostel Eight (DH 8). Each room was supposed to house
four students. I met with few of my schoolmates on the same day and we decided
to be roommates. So Dawa and Kuenzang became my roommates. That evening when we
checked the notice board in our hostel, a hand written paper caught our
attention. It read, “New comers must wear Gho while going outside.” When we
asked our Hostel Councilor to confirm if it was true, he said seniors might
have pasted the announcement for fun. At night we could hear students shuffling
their feet and talking loud as they climbed the stairs. We assumed it to be either
second year or third year students because all the first year students were
located on the ground floor. One student among them even shouted in a funny
tone, “Ummm…I can smell the first year students.” By that time, we had heard
rumors from here and there that there would be ragging very soon.
The
next day, all the new students gathered outside the Multi-Purpose Hall (MPH)
near the academic block. It took the whole day to register the new comers. We
had to submit our documents, pay the College fees and even give a mandatory
security deposit. It was a long day for all of us. So, my roommates and I had
early dinner and decided to call it a day. The door was latched, lights were
put off and we wished each other good night’s sleep.
The
Dramatic Entrance
Suddenly,
there was a loud continuous bang on our door and it scared the hell out of us.
We did not know what was going on. Someone ordered from outside, “Open the
door.” Lights were switched on and it was Kuenzang who opened the door. Dawa
was up but still inside blanket looking towards the direction and I was on the
bunk bed doing the same thing. A group of people entered the room and without
wasting a single second one senior signaled me to climb down. “Hey Nuchu! Don’t
you know, you have to get down when seniors are here?” asked one senior and
another one added, “Nuchu, don’t you know you have to stand up when seniors are
around?” Three of us were soon standing in line. Some of the seniors were
sitting on the chair which we gave them while others stood behind them blocking
our exit. I could see our Councilor among them who gave quick glance at the
situation and left without saying anything. The room was filled with the stench
of alcohol.
The
Introduction
From
right to left I was the first one standing. So they ordered me to tell about
myself. So I told them my name, village, previous school and mentioned my hobby
- to sing. As soon as I stopped, one senior told me to sing one song and I
obeyed. Next was Kuenzangs turn to introduce. He introduced himself and when it
came to his hobby he said, “I like singing….no no I like reading.” Dawa
introduced after Kuenzang.
The
Lecture
After
introduction was done a senior began, “Nuchu, this is not ragging okay? We are
here to brief you regarding hostel rules and regulation.” When we nodded, he
continued, “Actually, there are not much things to keep in mind. Just keep the
three rules in your mind at all times. Rule number 1 – Respect seniors. Rule
number 2 – Respect seniors. And final rule – Respect seniors.” At that time,
Dawa was leaning a little bit on the table in from of him and the senior
lecturing us saw it. “Nuchu, what is your problem? Are you trying to disrespect
us? You better not show your attitude” shouted the senior. Next, another senior
beside him told us that we must not trust four things. He said, “Never trust
wine, women, the weather of Yonphula and clock tower at the entrance of our
College.” At the time, the clock tower was malfunctioning and the hour hand and
minute hand of the giant clock would always point at 3. After that, few other
seniors asked us few questions. We answered all the questions with the word
“La” in the end. God knows the consequences had we not used the word. The Group
finally stood up to leave our room.
The
Conciliation
I
thought finally everything was over but it was not. One senior remained in the
room. But he told us to be seated. He told us that we should not be angry with
him and his friends. He told us that he and his friends had to face the same thing
when they were first year students and even presumed that we would do the same
thing when we become seniors one day. We were told that briefing is done to
remind some students who came with the class 12 attitude (senior in school) in
College that they are no more seniors. The senior told us not to keep the night’s
incident in mind and left our room. It was midnight when all the seniors left
us alone. I climbed my bed and started noting the incident in my diary. We were
all pissed off, complained and were back-biting our seniors. Dawa was the
angriest among us and I could literally see his ears and face which had turned
red as the anger raged in him. Kuenzang and I was angry too but we laughed
occasionally by mocking his response and Dawas blushing face and ears.
The
next day, most of the students were talking about what happened last night.
Some students managed to escape being ragged by staying in the room of their
senior brother or friends while few escaped by hiding in the toilet. We asked
our schoolmates regarding briefing in their hostel and shared our experiences
too. Everyone bursts into laughter. In the room of one of our schoolmates Samten,
one roommate said that he had no ambition. When it was Samtens turn to introduce,
he said his ambition was same as the friend before him. At that time, the
senior in the front was annoyed with the response and even rolled his sleeves
throwing the question, “Huh, how can it be same?” Another schoolmate of ours by
the name Migma shared his experience. Migma had a muscular body and he was huge
in size. Initially he thought that he would beat up the seniors if they came to
rag him. A short guy followed by his friends came in his room and contrary to
his thoughts he had to retreat. He said, he learnt what crowd could do to you
that night.
During
my 3 years stay in the college, I heard few rumors regarding ragging. In the
past, seniors used to wait for the juniors at Trashigang Pam and Yonphula to
welcome them and juniors had to wear our national attire from that point
onwards. It is said that if juniors told the senior that their hobby was
swimming, the seniors would spill a drop of water on the table and the juniors
had to swim on that drop. There was a particular joke regarding ragging among
students. Once a junior told senior that he liked cycling. So he was made to
ride an imaginary cycle by sitting on a chair. He was made to peddle the
imaginary cycle. Suddenly, the junior stopped. When the seniors asked him why he
stopped peddling, he answered, “Right now, I am going downhill.”
I
became a senior after two years. Ragging was still there but I did not take
part in it because the night we were ragged, I decided that the chain had to be
broken somehow. But Councilors during our time did a great job during the
welcome tea session for juniors in our TV/meeting room. Welcome tea session was
there even when I was a first year student. The only difference was that,
during our time juniors and seniors spent extra time in room by sharing their
feelings and experiences regarding ragging. By the end of the session, there
was smile on everyone’s face because a truce had been called.
Ragging
was never visible to the management because it was never called by its original
name. “Briefing” was the alibi and euphemism used by the ones who used to rag
juniors.
Good memories!!!
ReplyDeleteMissed that wonderful moments
ReplyDeleteGreat writing la
ReplyDelete